When a dispute arises, they come to me, and I am the one who settles the case between the quarreling parties. I inform the people of God’s decrees and give them His instructions. Exodus 18:16
A leader’s primary job is to provide solutions to the many leadership challenges that arise in the course of dispensing his tasks. It is a function of thinking. It is because there are problems to be solved that there is a need for leadership. If a person cannot solve problems, he cannot be a leader. Ultimately, A LEADER IS A PROBLEM SOLVER.
Problems are bound to arise in any leadership scenario – they come to present an opportunity for growth if well-handled and resolved. So, leadership is looking for innovative ways to solve problems so as to overcome the odds that life throws at you.
Your ability to solve problems as a leader communicates a sense of confidence to your followers or team mates. You become their ‘go-to’ person; then, learning and mentoring can easily take place under your leadership.
Some innovative ways to solve problems:
- Seek to understand the problem, appraise the situation properly.
- Gather enough facts, ask questions and question the status quo.
- Explore different options to solving the problem. One solution doesn’t fit all problems.
- Approach it with a positive mindset; understand that every problem has a solution.
- Use past experiences of success to solve problems of the same nature.
- Monitor and document the outcome of the solutions you proffered, this information will equip you in solving future problems.
- Get the Holy Spirit involved, it takes God’s wisdom to solve a problem. As a Christian leader, you need God’s counsel to solve daily problems.
Damian Mingle said, “An enterprise shines brightest when its people are working on problems bigger than themselves.” The question is, “What problem are you currently trying to solve on your current leadership level?” That is what determines the quality of your leadership, and that is what takes your leadership to another level.
SO, START QUESTIONING, START THINKING, AND START SOLVING!
Ask for the wisdom of God to enable you solve complex and difficult problems that will take your organization to a better level.